No music publication or radio station should ever tell you what you should and shouldn’t listen to – hell if you want to listen to Katy Perry go for it – that’s why at Anything Everything we leave our opinion out of our reviews and focus on creative ways to give you a picture of what the album sounds like and hopefully peak your interest enough for you to want to go and check it out and make up your own mind.
So without further delay this is our Top Albums of 2014, hope you discover something you go on and love as much as we have this year or just agree with albums we’ve got on our list and nod your heads in agreement.
20. King Buzzo – This Machine Kills Artists – The most power ever wielded from an acoustic guitar! Who said you needed amplification to play mind altering riffs!
19. Dowling Poole – Bleak Strategies – Wonderpop! Delightfully quirky! Like taking a sugar overdose and getting lost maze created by Lewis Carroll!
18. Struts – Everybody Wants – The Spirit of Freddie Mercury lives on! Grandiose, dramatic, soaring pop that lives perfectly in the moment!
17. Karma to Burn – Arch Stanton – Who needs vocals when the riffs are this good? Rock on brothers, riff after riff after motherf*#king riff!
16. Antemasque – Antemasque – Mars Volta does Rush playing a gig on the Los Angeles desert! This is a classic rock album for the modern era!
15. Ward Thomas – From Where We Stand – Perfect crossover blend of traditional country and big summer radio pop hits. One for a long sunshine drive!
14. Motorpsycho – Beyond The Sun – Sounds like Led Zeppelin on the most magnificent journey through space in their supercharged wonder ship
13. Mogwai – Rave Tapes – Spellbinding. Just Spellbinding. Get lost in the ever evolving world that is the mighty Mogwai!
12. Kongos – Lunatic – The best new band we’ve had in years – It sounds like drunk pirates lost on African shores having the best party ever!
11. The Men – Tomorrow’s Hits – It’s like Bruce Springsteen grew up in the dirty back streets of Brooklyn and set his guitar to funk.
10. Jessie Ware – Tough Love – Memorising, true late night headphone listening! Sink into her electro soul wonderland and enjoy the ride!
9. Floor – Oblation – They manage to make the thickest tar sludge sound monstrous & joyful at the same time! Masterfully done!
8. Weezer – Everything Will Be Alright in the End – It’s Weezer back on top form so you know what to do, drop the roof down, put your sunglasses on and turn it up as loud, drive fast, party hard!
7. Royal Blood – Royal Blood – White Stripes bastard child with Queens of the Stone Age comes to mind at once but this is an instantly British garage rock sounding record! Bass rumble – BOOM!
6. Hark – Crystalline – Bringing the hammer down better and harder than all the competition combined! These absolute monsters will pummel your ears into heaven!
5. Swans – To Be Kind – Sounds like a lost orchestra being led through the wilderness by their demented leader after a plane crash
4. Mongol Horde – Mongol Horde – The love of late 80’s, early 90’s hardcore is poured all over this explosion of a record! AAARRRRGHHHH!
3. Shit & Shine – Powder Horn – Noise rock legends take on the most warped desert disco you’ve ever been to in this wonderful curve ball. Did someone spike the punch?
2. Melvins – Hold It In – It doesn’t get much better than the chugging guitar abuse and hard hitting rhythms on display here. The grooviest metal band to every walk the planet in full swing!
1. Foo Fighters – Sonic Highways – Quite simply put my speakers just don’t go loud enough to enjoy the magic committed to tape on this record. These soaring journeys are some of the best rock not just that the Foos have produced, but period! It embraces a love of music that doesn’t fall into genres – that just embraces great music, wherever it comes from, whatever it sounds like and they’ve let that seep into the pores of this record and enhance that familiar Foos racket into something that sounds like you’ve known these songs your whole life. The term ‘instant classic that will stand the test of time’ has never been more appropriate.
Enjoy my musical teapots!
Until next year – follow us at https://twitter.com/AEmusic1line